Friday, November 5, 2010

Fabric Initials

    I've been busy for the past few months making our apartment a home, but I've neglected our room. With so many plates, frames, etc. hanging around our home, it was sad and pathetic that all the walls in our bedroom were BARE. Last weekend I finally hung some pictures up and my magazine page wreath. On the wall across from the foot of the bed I hung some pictures and stuff but I felt it still needed something. It then occurred to me that our initials would be perfect hanging on the wall. With this vision in mind I set to work on making our initials.
My new boots came in this handy box. Perfect for my project.

I drew the letters on the cardboard and cut them out.

   I decided I wanted to cover the letters with fabric, but I haven't found any fabric that is cheap or the type of pattern I desired. I then discovered an old shirt in my drawer that I bought my sophomore year of college. It used to be one of my favorites but no longer is. It has an adorable apple print. Perfect.  I then wanted to add cotton balls to the letters under the fabric so that when I covered the letters with the fabric they would be puffy looking; major FAIL. So I decided to just cover the letters with the fabric. I think this whole thing might have been much easier if I had a stapler to use but alas, I don't own one. In the absence of a handy stapler,  I just used packing tape to attach the fabric. I laid each letter on the fabric and cut the fabric around them, leaving about an extra 1/2 inch around the edge. I then folded the fabric around the edges and taped the fabric on the back.

   The finished product.  Not bad for my first attempt I think. Since this is the other side of my wall of frames, I used wall puddy to attach the letters (I think I've put enough holes in the wall).

   Our wall :o) The big picture to the right is a collage of our honeymoon. The picture on the far left is the church we were married in, the bow hook I got at Goodwill last week for 99 cents and I thought it was perfect for holding some of the necklaces I've made. The table underneath was made by my husband when he was in high school, it holds a special place in my heart. The initials are an excellent addition to our personalized wall.


2 comments:

I love getting your comments. I read, and am delighted by, every single one.