Saturday, November 13, 2010

"The 25 Posts of Christmas" Gift No. 1

   There's only 41 days until Christmas! Time to start thinking about gifts right? I'm actually shocked that I'm thinking about them this early, I'm more the type that waits until the week of. This year is different, however, I plan to make as many of the gifts I give as possible (excluding the video games my husband wants) and making gifts takes more time and more planning ahead than grabbing something at Target. In lue of my decision to make most of my gifts, I've decided to have something here at Blissful Whimsy called "The 25 posts of gifts." For each of the 25 posts I will feature a gift idea I have had and made or a great one that I find somewhere else. If you have a great handmade gift idea please submit it! I decided to start this now because waiting and starting December 1st and doing one every day of December would be too stressful, and since handmade gifts take longer, posting an idea on Christmas Eve wouldn't be very helpful. I'm so excited about the gifts ideas I'll be sharing starting..today!

Decoupaged Dictionary Candle Holders

Supplies

  • Mod Podge
  • Old Dictionary pages (or any other thin paper)
  • Glass candle holders
  Step 1. This morning I hit up Dollar tree and found these glass candle holders. I love the shape. 


Step 2. I brushed one some Mod Podge, just a small section at a time.

Step 3. I tore small pieces of pages out of my reliable Goodwill Dictionary (I have gotten so much use out of that thing) and laid them over the wet Mod Podge. Then I dipped my finger in the Mod Podge and smoothed it over the paper, especially the edges.

Step 4. Finally, I made sure all the edges were glued down and the whole thing was covered with Mod Podge and I set it on a paper grocery bag to dry. I used the grocery bag and it didn't stick to my project and ruin it like annoying newspaper has a tendency to do.



  After it's all dry place a candle inside, wrap it up,  and give it away :o)

4 comments:

  1. Those are very sweet! I bet they look lovely luminated!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :o) I'm dying to see how they look with a lit candle but they're gifts and I don't wanna give them to someone with melted wax. Perhaps I need to make some of my own. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart paper ephemera!! Great project! Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. I read, and am delighted by, every single one.