Saturday, February 18, 2012

Gluten-Free Cinnamon Rolls

   I've recently jumped on the gluten-free bandwagon. Don't worry, I'm not one of "them." I made the choice because of an allergy I've realized I have, not because I like to skip my lifestyle around from one buzzword "vegetarian," "gluten-free," "vegan" to another.  I've had eczema for as long as I can remember and recently figured out that the eczema that was showing up on my eyelids, neck, arms, legs, and hands was being triggered by gluten. Now that I've decided to completely abstain from it, I no longer look swollen-eyed and feel self conscious. With all the gluten-free things on the market now I'm realizing that this change may not be so hard at all.
   For Valentine's Day I like to make a delicious dessert for Brandon and I. The last few years I've made the same thing so this year, I wanted to branch out a little. After all, who doesn't LOVE cinnamon rolls...and ice cream?

Gluten free cinnamon rolls
Ingredients
Gluten-free Bisquick
1/3 cup butter, plus a few extra tablespoons
2/3 cup milk (I didn't try it, but I'm pretty sure almond milk would be great)
3 eggs
cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling

For icing
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons almond milk

Directions
Follow the directions on the box for making a basic biscuit but sub the butter for shortening. As you mix up the biscuit dough, add about 1 tablespoon cinnamon and about a 1/4 cup sugar.
Roll the dough on a flat surface (wax paper sprinkled with rice flour works wonderfully) to about 1/2 inch thick.
Sprinkle flattened dough with sugar and cinnamon and a few tablespoons butter.


Roll up dough to form a log, cut into circle and place in a greased baking dish. 
Bake at 400 for 13-16 minutes. 



For icing mix both ingredients until smooth. Add more sugar to thicken.
When rolls are baked, drizzed with tons of icing. Tons. 



   We topped ours with coffee ice cream and whipped cream because it was Valentine's Day...and that's just how we roll.



4 comments:

  1. Those look delicious. Gluten free takes a little while to adjust, but once you do, there's very little you miss.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pinned this on Pinterest. Thank you for joining Creative Bloggers Party and Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm from the links party and I just started eating g free for nausea issues I've had 3 years now!
    What's so funny is that I just tried a gfree cinnamon roll mix last weekend. It took a lot more effort than yours and didn't taste great to me, but my hubby loved them ha! I will deff try this recipe. :-)
    Would love to talk more about gfree and I'm your new follower!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. I read, and am delighted by, every single one.