Thursday, January 27, 2011

Yummy Dollar Store Ingredient Chili

  Right now there is a nasty little bug crawling around and plotting behind our computer desk, but I can't locate him. I know he's there because I saw him, gasped, and jabbed at him with a tissue a few minutes ago. I only succeeded in detaching one of his legs. I hope I at least hurt his pride. Perhaps Brandon will be able to hunt him down. Until then, I'm keeping my feet tucked safely underneath me.
   This evening I visited my favorite dollar store for some new dish ingredients and came home to cook up a new chili recipe to give to a family. I was so absolutely pleased by the fact that about 95% of the ingredients for this chili came from the dollar store. Can't beat that.
   The only ingredient for this chili not found at the dollar store was the onion. Sadly, they don't sell fresh produce.

  I found this tantalizing sounding chili recipe in the Winter issue of The Nest. I'm not really sure why I'm receiving this magazine...but I really like it.


   The original recipe sounded so, so good, but I tweaked it a little due to the fact that I didn't have some of the ingredients and the dollar store doesn't carry them. One ingredient I nixed was "veggie meat crumbles." I don't know what those are, but they just don't sound terribly tasty. I believe this is sort of meant to be a vegetarian chili recipe but my substituting chicken broth for vegetable broth kinda changed that whole thing.
   Not being a super experienced cook, I'm always a little nervous when I make many changes to a recipe. These changes worked out great though and the chili is very yummy. Yes, I tasted it. I had to make sure it was edible.

Sweet ‘n’Spicy Chili “Annafied”
Serves 6

Ingredients
1 onion
4 cloves garlic
1 (30oz) can of dark red kidney beans
1 (8oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce 
24 oz chicken broth
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. honey
uncooked spaghetti, handful about the diameter of a nickel

Directions
Saute the onion and garlic together until the onions are clear. place in crock pot and add all other ingredients except spaghetti noodles. Let simmer at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add pasta and cook until the noodles are soft.




   I also made Cinnamon Muffins. I did not taste these, but I've made them before so I'm sure their at least edible.

  I definitely plan on making this for Brandon and I soon. maybe Brandon won't notice that there's no meat in it...and I think I have enough dollar store ingredients left over :o)
  Have a wonderful Friday everyone!

1 comment:

I love getting your comments. I read, and am delighted by, every single one.