Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Veggie Crusted Birthday Chicken

   Today has been a lovely birthday. My kindergarteners were sweet and excited about me getting one year older. One little girl gave ma a toy pacifier on a safety pin which she was delighted to see me wear on my sweater the whole day, Another student of mine gave me a list of four words beginning with the letter P she had written. I was quite delighted by both interesting and thoughtful gifts. Kids are so good at making you feel loved.
   When I got home we  had a delicious birthday supper and it was made my me :o) I know what you're thinking, "Her husband didn't take her out for her birthday?" Well the truth is, he would have been happy to take me out and has done everything he can today to make me feel like a special birthday girl, I just wanted to eat here tonight. I really can't think of an evening I enjoy more than one spent here in our cozy little apartment eating a home cooked meal that I got to enjoy making. Now, what I made that was so yummy: salad, sweet potato fries and veggie straw crusted chicken. The chicken sounds weird doesn't it? It was so great though.
   I came up with the chicken idea last night after we went to Costco and bought a giant bag of veggies straws. One person can only eat so many veggie straws so I wanted to find another use for them. I'd say I found a darn good one.
   The veggies straws had to be really crushed up so my husband was a good sport and sat on them, rocking back and forth, while on the computer. Once they were crushed it was time to start on my creation.

Veggie Crusted Chicken

  • 3 boneless skinless chicken breast
  • Two packets onion soup mix
  • Garlic powder
  • 1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup 2% milk with 1 T vinegar in it)
After cutting each chicken breast into three strips I dredged each pieces in the milk, then rolled it in the the onion soup mic and garlic powder (which were mixed together). Finally, I rolled each one in the crushed veggie straws and put it in a heated pan with extra virgin olive oil. I cooked them on med/high for a few minutes then covered them and turned them down to med/low to simmer. The whole process took very little time and they were deeeeelicious. The dish reminded me of super flavorful fried chicken and who doesn't like fried chicken??? 

  Cookin'

The end result. We were absolutely stuffed afterwards.

I end with one of my beautiful birthday gifts 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. I read, and am delighted by, every single one.